Hello friends! I have about 30 minutes before Downton Abbey starts, and I figured this would be a good way to use it. (On another note, any Downton fans out there?! Anybody else as OBSESSED with it as I am?! Gosh, I love that show too much.)
I started seriously journaling back in 2012. See that green one in the front? That was my first one ever! It took me 3 years to finish. But the feeling of closing it for the last time was incredible. I was ready for my second, which is the little red owl journal. I finished that in just a year, which was INCREDIBLE for me! I felt extremely accomplished. 😉 And my newest one is the one you see open. It’s a beautiful brown leather journal with a floral print with a leather snap. I consider it my baby. In the least strange way.
Do all of you know the difference between a journal and a diary? A diary is more along the lines of day-to-day writings, like what you did that day, and it’s best if you write in it every day. Journaling, on the other hand, can be like that, but it’s also used for a bunch of different things. It’s a place to put all of your creative thoughts, musings, doodles, pictures, your rants, your lists, your thoughts, your packing lists, your schedule for the week, and anything else you can think of (the craziest thing I have taped in a journal are pennies). The best part of journaling? No need to write every day.
No commitment? You mean I don’t have to add another thing to my already overflowing schedule? YES PLEASE!
I wanted to write this to recommend to all of you, despite age or gender, to start a journal this year. I have found so many benefits from it!
- You get to track your growth in life. I look back at the stuff I wrote when I was thirteen all the time! Do I regret doing that every time? Yes.
- You get to spend some quiet time to yourself.
- It keeps you more organized!
- You get to harness your creativity in a space that no one will see but you. I like having that personal room that only me and my journal have. I don’t necessarily want to write a love poem and share it on here! ha… haha… no thank you.
- It’s a way to spend some time with God. (I’ll elaborate later in this post.)
Keeping a journal is so, 100% worth it. I promise you that.
Now, there are many different types of journals. This is my Bible journal. (I’m thinking I’m going to morph this into my newest journal and abandon this one…) This journal I spent my time writing about my daily devotions in. I’m the kind of person that will only remember what I learn if I write it with my hand. I took notes, drew little doodles, graphs, and lists, wrote prayers, really anything that I thought would allow me to spend time meditating on the Word. I really recommend this if you’re looking for a way to start daily devotions!
Sometimes people really struggle with prompts for their journal. Ah, thank goodness we live in a day and age that that’s already done for you. Above are two different kinds of journals I have (that I have yet to crack into) that give you prompts. You can also look on Pinterest (follow me! @lucieludavis ) or other blogs. (They have blogs for everything, I swear.) Goals are always a great way to start!
Some Tips For You Beginners:
- Be somewhere quiet, or somewhere you don’t feel like a million people are needing your attention.
- Get a journal that you feel like you can carry with you when you go places in case you get inspired.
- Colorful pens always make things better. Mix it up each time, or use all of them in each entry!
- Music, if it doesn’t distract you, can help inspire you. It helps to get the juices flowing.
- Although you don’t have to write every day, writing at least every other week is best.
- Although you don’t have to write about what’s been going on in your day to day life, occasionally doing so is good, so you can see personal growth (I call them Check-Ins).
- Don’t rip out any pages! Learn from your mistakes.
- Tape or glue in flowers, pictures, notes from friends, stickers, make collages, etc. It makes it a little more interesting and colorful!
If you end up starting a journal, I hope this can be helpful! Let me know what you think. 🙂
Have a wonderful Monday my friends!